A radio pioneer’s copy of Browning’s Poetical Works
This copy of Elizabeth Browning’s Poetical Works belonged to Lee de Forest, a pioneer in radio. De Forest achieved the first ship-to-shore radio transmission and held nearly 200 patents for his inventions.
De Forest was given this book as a gift in April 1925, less than a year after he was awarded a patent for developing a technique for recording sound directly on film, an invention that made “talkies” possible. His book is now on our shelves for $95.
November 11, 2015 / riverbybooksdc /
Categories: Unusual books
11am to 7pm Daily
- Holiday Hours at Riverby DC November 15, 2016
- As seen in The Hill Rag… October 2, 2016
- It’s Election Time September 21, 2016
- So Much Star Trek! July 29, 2016
- Author talk: Carolyn Karcher on ‘A Refugee from His Race’ July 6, 2016